Today’s vehicles are increasingly ‘connected’ in the sense that they can exchange information wirelessly with the vehicle manufacturer, other vehicles and road users, and third-party service providers.
With the rising volume of data generated by vehicles, third parties are increasingly interested in accessing and using these in-vehicle data to provide useful services to drivers. These service providers include:
- Garages and breakdown services;
- Insurance companies;
- Operators of parking garages;
- Financial and fleet service providers; and
- Road infrastructure operators.
They also include non-traditional automotive players such as:
- Entertainment and travel-service providers;
- Social networks; and
- Search engine operators.